Sunday, 27 March 2016

Thursday Steady Social

Thursday saw my first physio appointment since the op.  Progress was good and she was pleased with the amount of mobility and movement there already.  It was reassuring to be told that the bone was held tight by the plates, and I could stop worry about moving the arm around.  As long as there was no pain or jarring, and I continued to avoid heavy lifting or pressing, the bone was going to go nowhere.  "Carry on with non-weight-bearing activities, and continue to work on grip strength".

"You really must not crash or fall on that arm though"

Like my earlier rides, I weighed up the risks carefully before heading out on to Thursday social.  The main risk obviously being falling or jarring the arm with a tumble or square edged impact. Countering that was the fact that I know every rock and turn on the easy trails, I could always drop to a road and head home at any time, and I would know within 2 minutes of starting whether it was a good idea. The risk of me falling or jarring are probably the same, if not less, than a normal workday, or even when I am running. I already know I can use the brakes as normal after the earlier rides, and a good deal of air was let out of the tyres to ensure maximum grip and minimal trail chatter.  

Or, to put it simply.  They are just the smooth side trails and it will all be fine. 

Anyway, it was worth going up just to catch up with everyone.  Vicky has a new bike. 

Karl has new wheels.

 ......and I have a newly plated arm.  At first I was a little nervous what to expect, rolling cautiously and observing every little change in my muscles. Soon enough I realised, there was no pain, no discomfort, and, as long as I stayed at the back and descended slowly, there would be no issue at all.

It was wonderful to be out with our group, and seeing the lights of other riders heading upwards into the darkness.

We regrouped at the indicator stone and I opted to ride back to the car park the way we had come rather than following the main group up to a fast descent. I was happy to just be out. Descending can wait a few more weeks.  

Laura and Karl joined me on the hardpack trail, and we arrived in time to rescue a stray toad from the car park before the others arrived. Migration season has begun, and the nightly toad-collections will start on the Harcourt road in the next few days. We try and save as many as possible from the traffic by transporting them over the road safely so they can continue to make their way to the breeding lake. Is is interfering in nature? No more than the combustion engine, man-made tarmac roads and unaware drivers are.